Wednesday, August 21, 2019
Midland Silver Service Honor Cord
The goal of the Silver Service Cord is to recognize students who have contributed to their community or school by volunteering their time and talents. An increasing number of scholarship applications require applicants to list service and experiences. Volunteer time often leads to employment and future educational opportunities as well as enabling students to understand the connection between school, work, and community.
Interested MHS students must complete 300 hours of service during four years of high school starting with the summer after eighth grade, to receive the Silver Service Honor Cord. Hours must be completed independently from other obligations such as Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, Campfire, and family. Volunteers may not receive payment or course credit for service hours. Volunteers will document all work and will get the signature of the individual or official representative on the documentation. Documentation sheets may be obtained in the student handout bins or the main office. Hours may also be recorded on plain paper. Completed hours can be submitted at any time, but must be submitted by the end of the first semester for that calendar year.
Service may include but is not limited to: Community performances outside MHS, Volunteering at OJ school or daycares outside your home, Peer tutoring, Teacher's aide, Volunteer at Senior Meals site, Senior Home, County Home, the food Bank, or food or clothing giveaways, Yard work for area elderly, Coaching or refereeing elementary teams, Working at High School activities (set up for sporting events, musical concerts )
Midland Silver Service Form
If you are unsure whether a particular activity qualifies for the program, SEE MR. LUENSMAN BEFORE COMPLETING SERVICE WORK!!
Opportunities are posted monthly around the school and in the daily student announcements.
Service Opportunities - Keep daily logs & report all hours to Mr. Luensman:
- Wyoming Library - Contact Nikki Rushford - 488-3975
- Wregie Memorial Library in Oxford Junction - Contact Wregie Memorial Library at 826-2450
- Lost Nation Public Library - Contact Lost Nation Public Library at 678-2114
- Little Eagles Wrestling - Contact Casey or Jackie Huston
- Midland Youth Basketball Teams/Tournament - Contact Sarah Fishwild
- Wyoming Summer Recreation youth baseball/softball programs - Contact Wyoming City Hall at 488-3970
- Classroom Helper at the elementary building - Contact Principal Ruley - 488-2292 x 3260
- Jones Co Pioneer Cemetary Commission - For more info contact one of the current committee members are Kris Ireland-Doll, Jim Christiansen, Connie Humpal, Rosalie Ahrendsen, Milt Luckstead, Laverta Langenburg, and Rita Balichek.
- Jones County Volunteer Center - Contact is Emma - 319-560-0811 - always has several opportunities going on. You can check out those opportunities at https://www.facebook.com/JonesCountyVolunteerCenter